Learn the Igorot vocabulary, one word at a time.
Igorotage is the first and only Igorot community on the web. We are the online authority when it comes to anything "Igorot". Not that we're bragging.
The Cordillera region harbors many dialects that may differ from one province to another. Are you fluent in your mother tongue? How many dialects can you understand or speak?
Learning to speak in the mother tongue is very important for a child's overall development. Being fluent in the mother tongue, which is also known as the native language, benefits the child in many ways. It connects him to his culture, ensures better cognitive development, and aids in the learning of other languages.
Even The Department of Education (DepEd) thumbs up to this.
Researchers have proven even during our education with the Thomasites that the child’s first language really facilitates learning, as emphasized by Dr. Monroe, that we should be educated in our mother tongue. This gave birth to the Iloilo experiment and the result of that study was very remarkable.
And if I may be so bold, it's a shame not to know our own dialects. We need to understand our dialects better than anyone else. We came up with a solution, an online Igorot dictionary. Let's jump right into it.
How it works
The Igorotage dictionary is pretty much straight forward and it doesn't require much technical skills.
Browsing word definitions made easy.
- Dictionary. Basically the home page for this feature.
- Popular. A generated list of word meanings sorted base on an algorithm.
- Latest. A generated list of word meanings sorted on a reversed chronological order.
- Contributions. A page containing a list of all words you defined.
- Define. This is the page you're looking for when you want to define a word.
- Search. Of course, a page where you can search for word meanings.
- Parents. These are dynamic pages that include all definitions of a certain word from different authors.
- Children. These are dynamic pages that include only a single definition of a certain word from different authors.
Defining a word
Alright, so you now have a grasp on how to navigate the dictionary. You're now probably ready to define your first Igorot word. Open up the define page.
We've categorized these fields base on their importance. The basics and the advance.
You are required to fill up these fields.
- Word. The word you wish to define. It could be phrase.
- Part of Speech. Which "parts of speech" or "word classes" should this word be categorized? We're talking about nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc. here.
- Meaning. Here we go, the definition or translation of the word or phrase. To make things better, keep it short and simple. You know, understandable by a 13 year old kid? Well, it's up to you.
- Dialect-language. Select which Igorot dialect or language does your definition should be categorized. You can select all possible category. When unsure, select the "general" category. We actually need help on this one.
These fields are optional but will make the definition more meaningful and more understandble.
- Example. Example or examples using the word or phrase.
- Tags. Add tags related to the word separated by comma.
Now that you filled all required fields, you can now press the "submit" button. As mentioned earlier, you can find all your posts on the contributions page. Each post has options such as "editing", "deleting", and "sharing". Just click the ellipsis button ().
Eventually, authors may have different definitions for a certain word or phrase. In order for us to show the most accepted definition of a word, we incorporated a system that ranks definitions base on users' votes.
- Up Vote. () If you believe the definition is acceptable, give it an "up" vote.
- Down Vote. () If you disagree to the definition, give it a "down" vote.
You can share your thoughts by leaving a comment to a word definition. You can also mention @someone and use #hashtags if needed.
You'll be notified when someone upvoted your definition or left a comment. Please be adviced that you will not be notified when someone downvote your definition.
Disclaimer: This online dictionary is user generated and shouldn't be considered as the official Igorot language(s) and/or dialects.
Beta! This feature is still on it's development phase.